Friday 4 July 2014

Punching in a Dream

So the past while we've had the unfortunate privilege of receiving frequent visits from nocturnal entities not so interested in drinking our blood but more interested in taking our stuff. Just two nights ago some silent shadow tried to liberate my lovely companion's computer monitor through a window that he had managed to open. Now, while he might have thought this a simple task, in actual fact he did not take into account the size of the monitor relative to the size of the opening in the burglar bars. Hence, he didn't manage anything other than just making a mess.

On top of that the dogs heard his futile attempts and made a tremendous racket, which caused us to open the door and let them out. So not only was the would-be thief faced with the enormity of his failure, he was also faced with a frantically barking Australian Shepherd and a furious 60kg Boerboel. Unfortunately he made a clean getaway before either us or our extremely upset canines could get to him. For those readers who aren't sure what a Boerboel looks like.....
Now this whole situation was weighing heavily on me, occupying my thoughts with visions of various booby traps and other burglar catching technology. So it should come as no surprise that last night I even dreamt about it. In my dream I was walking towards our humble abode when the same would-be thief jumps out of the bushes, rushes at me and starts attacking me. Naturally I defend myself. In my mind I looked like a MMA fighter high on caffeine and Red Bull!

Unfortunately I woke up to a massive crash in our bedroom. Turns out that, while I was fighting my imaginary attacker, I had punched straight through the lamp on my bedstand in my sleep. My lovely companion was looking at me strangely, and both the cats that had up until that point been sleeping peacefully on the bed had vanished, one wetting the bed in the process. After clearing up the chaos (which was considerable) and remaking the bed so that we could continue sleeping, my lovely companion leaned over and whispered "You killed the bad lamp."

So I have come to realise that one shouldn't over-think things. You may just end up fighting with yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment