Wednesday 4 September 2013

What Went Wrong?

I couldn't help but notice (seeing as it was on pretty much every webpage I opened lately) Miley Cyrus romping around on stage while wearing very little and doing something called "twerking", whatever the hell that is. My lovely companion and I then speculated about what went wrong. Miley went from sweet and wholesome Hannah Montana to something very akin to a singing stripper with a mild concussion. Then, a few years ago, you had Britney. She also started off quite sweet and innocent, and then turned into a hillbilly as soon as the money started rolling in. What is it about fame that turns regular people into trailer trash?

This brings me to my second point. I am absolutely astounded by the success of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. Why on earth would a teenage boy who sounds very much like a teenage girl when he sings be so popular? And why would all teenage girls (and some 40 year old women as well) fall so madly in love with him? Then you have Lady Gaga. This is someone who started off quite okay actually, and then got so weird that using the word weird doesn't even do her justice. Bizarre, maybe? These days, every time I turn on the radio and I listen to what is on offer, I get this expression:

What happened to music?! Gone are the days of Led Zeppelin, Dire Straits and Queen. Now every band sounds the same, and if the band or singer isn't completely weird in the process, no-one listens to them.

I firmly believe that none of the bands today can ever be as epic as Queen. We are talking about a band whose music is still being used in movies and television. And this 12 years after the death of its lead singer. A man whose vocal ability and charisma few can match. So, to all bands out there I say this, be quiet, pop in a Queen CD, get out your notepads and pencils, get ready to take some notes, stomp your feet and repeat after me: "We will, we will ROCK YOU!"

No comments:

Post a Comment