Monday 15 April 2013

Oppa Gangnam Style!

Right, now that you have a ridiculously catchy and very annoying song stuck in your head, I can continue. I attended a friend's 21st birthday party over the weekend. Now, while that is not unusual, as at some point most people pass the 21 year mark, I found myself quite confused by the latest styles in dancing. This friend of mine is quite the dancer, and is very proficient in ballroom and latin american dancing. And I can understand why. Watching someone who knows what they are doing when it comes to ballroom dancing is like watching an eagle glide on an air current, or a swan swimming on a lake. It is breathtaking. Watching someone who can't do it though (someone very much like me) is like watching someone who just sat on a tazer. It's a very unpleasant sight! At some point during the evening, (with it being a 21st birthday party and all) inevitably the DJ decided to unpack this very popular and intensely annoying song, hence the title of my post. It is the latest offering from Korea, and has taken the world by storm. But upon hearing it for the first time, most people have this facial expression:


You are not sure if you like it, or if you have just been musically insulted. Add to that the fact that 90% of the song is in Korean, and you can only sing along with the chorus, it makes it quite confusing for most people. Then there is the dance that goes with it. Described as "invisible horse riding" it makes just as little sense as the song itself. And yet most people know how to do it. My mind boggles at this! Granted, I suppose it is quite fun to do after you've had some alcoholic liquid refreshment, but you have to live with the knowledge that you actually did it in public when you once again have a moment of sobriety. Maybe I'm getting old and stuffy, or maybe the world is just moving at a faster pace than I am used to, or maybe it's just the fact that I can't dance, but I just don't get it. But then, someone once told me that the classic Genesis song "I Can't Dance" applies to me, so maybe I should just quit complaining and sit back and enjoy the show...

2 comments:

  1. Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.
    강남가라오케

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comment m'lady! I hope you will continue to enjoy the site!

    ReplyDelete