Friday 6 June 2014

Frozen

Winter has finally arrived in South Africa! Now usually winter in South Africa means that you walk out of your house in the morning and notice that it is only slightly cooler than usual. We have very mild winters over here. But you get freaky winters, like this one, where you walk out the door and 5 seconds later you can cut glass with your nipples!
Just last night I mentioned to my lovely companion that I am thus far unimpressed with our winter. It has not really been cold yet. In fact, most of the time you roll up your sleeves halfway through the day, and your jacket remains forgotten in the back of your closet. Then sometime during the night, the wind started howling, the trees started shedding leaves everywhere and when I walked out of the house this morning, I walked straight into the next Ice Age! I half expected to see a mammoth, a sabre-tooth tiger and a sloth engaging in pithy word play in my front yard. (For those who are now scratching their heads, see Ice Age, the animated movie.) It would seem that my casual remark about the mildness of our winter thus far has angered Mother Nature. She retaliated with polar temperatures, just to put me in my place. When faced with such a response, there is only one question you can ask.....do you wanna build a snowman?


No comments:

Post a Comment