Tuesday 28 May 2019

It's Time to Play

I enjoy gaming. I've always enjoyed it. Immersing yourself in another world and just forgetting about the worries and cares of daily living for a while. It is like reading, just with visuals! I recently purchased Mortal Kombat XL. I've been a fan of the franchise from the very beginning, so it was a no-brainer to obtain the latest (at that point) installment. Especially because this one comes with fun extra characters like the xenomorph from Aliens (read about that cuddly character here), Jason from the Friday the 13th movies, Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the Predator from, well, the Predator movies. My beloved is also into gaming and we decided to give it a go together, mainly because MK XL is the only two player game I own at this point.
I was a little concerned that the extreme violence and brutality of the game would be a little bit off-putting and that we would play about two rounds before she would go sit somewhere quiet with a glass of wine and ponder her life choices. But no, she took to it like the proverbial duck to water! I decided to go easy on her at first while she was getting used to the controls but I soon realised that she is a natural. And once she got into it, boy did it get intense!

It is getting to the point where, when we play, we are pretty evenly matched. I would win some rounds, she would win others. I have come to dread the times where she picks Sub-Zero (a ninja character with cryogenic powers) or the above mentioned xenomorph. I just know that in those rounds I will either barely beat her or get thoroughly brutalised. But it is all in good fun, and it is the most effective way to get rid of the day's frustrations (well, while wearing clothes that is). But there are times where I fear I may have created a monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment