Thursday 16 April 2015

How The Proud Have Fallen!

So recently I decided to visit a restaurant that I had not visited since my school days many many many many (okay, I'll stop now) moons ago. I had fond memories of my favourite meals, and the friendly and efficient service that we received. So armed with my nostalgic musings and happy childhood memories, I paid them a visit.

The first person I saw was either extremely inefficient at applying makeup or was auditioning for the role of the Joker. She had so much makeup on that I was afraid her face might crack. The fact that she was constantly attempting to do a friendly grin, but failing miserably, terrified me slightly.
After seating me she took my drink order, and promptly got it wrong. Seeing as I do actually enjoy the beverage that she mistakenly brought me, I said nothing. I then proceeded to order a starter, which arrived within two minutes, proving that making food from scratch has gone out the door. Thereafter I ordered my main meal, which usually comes with a variety of choices (peri-peri, lemon and herb, garlic and so forth) and expected her to ask me which flavour I wanted. But no, she went "Very good" and wandered off, leaving me wondering exactly what I was going to receive. The end result was not too horrifying but still not up to the standards set by my memory.

The service too left something to be desired. My waitress would disappear for lengthy periods (probably trying to fix her makeup) and then reappear suddenly and without warning, causing me to grab my knife (butter, unfortunately) out of pure survival instinct. I actually heaved a sigh of relief when it was time to pay the bill and get the hell out of Dodge!

So not the most pleasant experience, which left me thinking that, if you have fond childhood memories of something, maybe leave it in the past......

No comments:

Post a Comment